Broughton & Bretton Community Councils cover the villages of Broughton and Bretton including The Warren and Manor Lane.
Broughton and Bretton were referred to in the Domesday Book of 1086. Broughton appeared as Brochetune, believed to mean 'Brook Farm', Bretton as Edritone. Bretton is believed to mean the Britons/the Welsh Farm.
Modern Broughton and Bretton however came into being in the late eighteenth century following the passing of an Act of Parliment for 'dividing, alloting and inclosing all the commons and wastelands in the townships of Broughton, Bannel and Pentrobin within the Manor and Parish of Hawarden'. The purpose of the Act was to improve farming by enabling the developments of the agricultural revolution to be introduced through the enclosure of the commons and open fields.
Broughton and Bretton were primarily agricultural communities throughout the nineteenth century with a combined population of approximately 650 in 1881. Today the population stands at over 5,000.
The growth in the population of Broughton and Bretton can be traced to the beginning of aircraft production in 1939, for use in World War II. The workforce at the factory grew from 700 in January 1940 to just over 7,000 in late 1945, producing 5,540 Wellingtons and 235 Lancasters.
Broughton is now synonymous with aircraft production, having been home to Vickers Armstrong, De Havilland, Hawker Siddeley, British Aerospace and now Airbus UK.